Health Desk- Dec 09, 2016: Dry and cracked heels are the most frequent concern in winter season. Sometimes these cracks may cause bleeding, infection and pain when standing or walking. Here are some tips for your heel care especially in this winter.
Scrubbing is an incredible remedy for dry, cracked feet. It helps a great deal in getting rid of cracked feet. Before scrubbing, soak your feet in warm soapy water to help soften the skin and make it easier to scrub.
- Before going to bed, mix some liquid soap in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Soak your feet in this warm soapy water for about 20 minutes.
- Use a pumice stone to gently scrub off the loosened dead skin cells.
- Rinse off your feet with clean water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply some foot cream or moisturizer and wear a pair of clean cotton socks overnight.
- Follow this remedy daily until your cracked feet are healed completely.
For dry, cracked feet, coconut oil is another incredible element. It helps moisturize your feet and also fights fungal and bacterial infections.
- Before going to sleep, soak your feet in warm water and scrub with a loofah.
- Dry your feet thoroughly and then apply coconut oil generously on your feet.
- Put on a pair of clean, cotton socks for the night.
- The next morning, remove the socks and wash your feet.
- Do this daily for several days until you are satisfied with the results.
- You can also use olive oil in the same way.
Mentholated Rub is another home remedy for cracked heels. It helps heal toenail fungus too.
- Apply some mentholated rub on clean, dry feet before going to bed.
- Put on a pair of socks and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, remove your socks and wash your feet with warm water.
- Repeat daily for a few days until the rough skin peels off.
You can also use paraffin wax to remove the dead, dry skin and cure cracked feet. It will also work as a natural emollient to soften the skin and retain the natural oils on the skin.
Heat some paraffin wax in a microwave or double-boiler and add an equal amount of mustard oil or coconut oil to it.
- Apply this thick creamy paste on the cracks and put on a pair of socks.
- Leave it on overnight and wash your feet thoroughly in the morning.
- Follow this remedy daily for one or two weeks.
Due to its moisturizing and humectant properties, glycerin works as a great remedy to get rid of cracked feet.
- Make a mixture of equal parts of glycerin and lemon juice. You can also add some rose water.
- Apply it on your feet.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Follow this remedy daily for about two weeks.