Wednesday, 19 Dec 2018

Bangla Version

Eastern Congo Ebola outbreak has killed 33

No icon Spot Light

 

Health Desk--6 August, 2018: An outbreak of the Ebola virus declared this week in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo is believed to have killed 33 people.

Thirteen cases of the haemorrhagic fever have been confirmed, including three deaths, the ministry said in a statement, adding that suspected cases had been detected in both North Kivu and neighbouring Ituri province.

Three cases have been confirmed in Beni, a regional trading hub of several hundred thousand people about 30 km (18 miles) from the centre of the outbreak in the town of Mabalako, and some 70 km from the Ugandan border.

The latest flare-up was announced one week after Congo's government declared the end of another outbreak in northwestern Congo that is believed to have killed 33 people as well. Health authorities say they have no evidence the two are connected.

So far, 879 people who came into contact with Ebola patients have been identified, the ministry said.